Removing the oily residue
Cleaning with mineral turpentine:
- Saturate rags with Mineral Turpentine and wash down all areas to be painted.
- Constantly change the rags as they will become saturated with the oil.
- Hang out the rags when you have finished and allow them to dry out before disposing of them responsibly.
Cleaning with White Vinegar:
- This method is carried out the same as you would with the turpentine except obviously you use White Vinegar.
- Use a mixture of 1 part White Vinegar to 5 parts water.
- Saturate the rag and wipe over every area to be painted.
Cleaning with Sugar Soap:
- Take a large plastic bucket, fill it with hot water and add a double mix of painters sugar soap, check the mixing directions of the brand you want to use and the double it!
- Using a soft broom, scrub down the shed and any area you are going to paint then rinse off with cold water, allow to dry and then paint.
Step 3 Priming and Top Coats